Navigate / search

Richard Burton to Receive Posthumous Star on Walk of Fame

Fans of Richard Burton have long argued his acting is often underrated and under-appreciated. This is most likely because of his famous, or shall we say infamous marriage(s) to Elizabeth Taylor. Their romantic and sometimes volatile relationship was followed by millions of loving fans all around the world. It was also subject to tabloid scrutiny which often overshadowed their performances.

This past Friday, February 15th, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce announced that Richard Burton will receive a posthumous star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The ceremony will take place on Friday, March 1st. The date also signifies St. David’s Day, which honors the patron saint of Wales, Burton’s home country. Burton’s star will be placed next to Taylor’s, in an effort to honor their great working relationship and lasting romance.

The ceremony coincides with the 50th anniversary release of the Joseph L. Mankiewicz epic Cleopatra starring Burton and Taylor. This special release will be on Blu-ray and DVD from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. A release date has yet to be announced. In addition to support from 20th Century Fox, Professor Dylan Jones-Evans from the Western Mail, the national newspaper of Wales, has been working hard to honor Burton’s career with a star on the Walk of Fame.

For more information about the ceremonies and for the complete press release with the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce, click here.

Source: Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment Press Release

Related posts:

Jill Blake

Jill Blake is the owner of the classic film website Sittin’ on a Backyard Fence. She is also a co-founder and editor of the film site The Black Maria and film editor at CC2K. In 2012, she was interviewed on-air by Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz. In 2013, she was a featured guest on the TCM podcast. In her spare time Jill is a stay-at-home mom, wife, fried okra connoisseur, and the neighborhood’s own L.B. Jeffries.

Comments

kimalysong

I am actually surprised to hear he didn’t have one already.

I love Richard Burton . I guess it is a shame that today he might be more know as the husband of Elizabeth Taylor but who knows he might have wanted it like that. From what I understand he liked Hollywood scene & the attention he got for being with Taylor (of course they did love each other), which was different from the stage scene. It might even be why he made some bad movie choices in his life. However, when he put the effort in he was one of the best. He is certainly one of the best actors to never win an Oscar (but then again there is a lot of actors/actresses in that category).

My favorite role (perhaps because it was my first) is Becket where I think he is incredible next to Peter O’Toole (another of those greats to never win the Oscar). O’Tooles’ role was much more flashy while Burton’s was much more quieter & subtle but for some reason Burton stood out for me more in that film. Just the way he delivered his lines, his presence on screen.

I would have loved to see him on stage.

The Lady Eve

I was sure Richard Burton must already have a star on the walk of fame. Hard to believe that an actor with 7 Oscar nominations to his name wasn’t given the honor in his lifetime. That his star coincides with the 50th anniversary of “Cleopatra,” of all things, only seems to underscore the sensational aspects of his stardom rather than his accomplishments as an actor.

One of the two Best Oscar wins he deserved but didn’t get was for my favorite of his performances – in “The Spy Who Came in from the Cold” (1965). Genius. Adored him. Still do. To the Hollywood Chamber: “It’s about time!”

silverscreenings

What?! Really? No star on the Walk of Fame?

Well, I’m glad they’re finally getting around to it.

Jill Blake

Up until the last year or so, I always thought the stars on the Walk of Fame were an honor bestowed on the recipients. Not the case. The entire process revolves around politics and money. One must apply for and campaign for a star on the WoF. There are a few hundred applications received annually. Only 24 recipients each year. I believe the application costs somewhere around $30,000. In addition to that fee, the applicant must heavily campaign to get support, although this is supposedly discouraged. Anyway, it’s likely that Burton didn’t campaign for the star when he was alive. This professor in Wales has been trying to get this star for Burton for years and has gotten support with Fox because of Cleopatra. As Eve said, that’s unfortunate, since that is far from his best role.

When I visited Hollywood for the TCM Festival I quickly realized that town is poisoned by politics. Did you know that Orson Welles doesn’t have his handprints and footprints at Grauman’s? But the cast from Twilight does? Yeah, think on that a bit.

Joel Williams

Never knew that. So, if I pass the hat and collect $30K I can fill out an application and then campaign for my own star? Silly humans :/

Brian Schuck

I’ve always thought it best not to know too much about how sausage is made (or awards awarded). The $30K application fee is gauche; the tidbit about Orson Welles’ absence and the Twilight cast’s inclusion makes me sick. Still, I’m glad Richard is finally getting his due on the Walk.

Talk to me!